This is the third of the three drains I had to fix. I could not do it on labor day because I had to finish drywall and that requires drying time (I did not use "hot mud" for this one — more on this later). Here are the before (left) and after (right) pictures:
The flexible PVC fitting is gone. The purple primed and solvent welded ABS fittings are gone, replaced by a HUB x SLIP fitting and a SLIP joint P-Trap assembly. The ABS HUB x SLIP and the 1-1/2 1-1/2 2 sanitary tee were properly welded with ABS cement. The HIB x SLIP fitting allows to transition from ABS to PVC and facilitates cleaning the P-Trap if necessary. The duct tape is gone as well as the plumber’s putty it used to conceal (not visible on the picture). This was probably an attempt of the previous owner to try to prevent leaks. Well, if so, he did fail. I also have replaced the simple non closing drain with a closing drain. I have also fixed the overflow. You can see the shiny new tailpiece of the drain at the top of the "after" picture.
Also, while not obvious on pictures, the drain is now a little higher (perhaps 2 inches) so there will be more storage space under the vanity.
This was by far the most challenging drain I have ever done not because it ws technically difficult but because it was under a small vanity and very little clearance in the bathroom itself. Here is a larger view from another angle showing the bottom of the vanity and parts of the existing untouched drywall (on the left):
You can see that I have also closed the wall. Obliously, the previous owner did not care about this so he left it open (see the "before" picture). Also, this bathroom is located in a basement so closing walls helps keep bugs out of the house. Taping the drywall patch took a long time because it was just difficult to access joints with taping knifes.
I even had to use regular joint compound which takes forever to dry instead of the faster drying 20 minutes "hot mud". I could not get the mud pan and myself under the vanity so I had to crawl out, get some mud on the knife, crawl back in and apply. Needless to say that hot mud would have dried in the pan!
Alert readers have noticed that there are two final touches missing: the patched area needs to be primed and paint. There is also a missing estucheon plate around the drain. What is not immediately obvious is that I will have to match the existing wall’s "sand" texture on the repaired drywall. That is going to be fun …